Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kids, the capital, and midwifery

If you have never taken your kids to the Missouri State Capital, I highly recommend it. I've had my kids up there in all kinds of weather, on busy days, and on slow days. For those of you who have been around in the daytime, I recommend you stay late on a day that the legislators continue their session into the late evening. The attitude in the building dramatically shifts. The seemingly uptight legislators and lobbyists relax a little and don't seem to put on quite the "show of the politician." Antsy children are smiled at and engaged, and if you're lucky you may see my kids playing with a beach ball or Frisbee in the halls. This is the government that I love. "Of the people, by the people." Let's not forget "FOR THE PEOPLE."

Now for the crux of the matter, how in the world is opposing SB 303 here in MO, "FOR THE PEOPLE?" Last I checked, this bill gives the option of a trained, skilled, and practiced midwife to families in MO.

I have had babies, several in fact, six to be exact. The best, and by far the easiest was with a midwife, on my living room floor, under the Christmas tree. Why is it that I can go to more states in the United States and not worry that my midwife may be prosecuted for committing a felony, but in MO, I have to sneak around and "covertly" have a homebirth out of fear for my midwife? Since when does my family, my midwife, and most importantly my unborn child not fall into the category of people, as in "for the people."

Give us a chance, sit down, and let it get to a vote.
-deanna

No comments: