Thursday, April 19, 2007

Anticipation...Exhaustion...

Anticipation can conjure a myriad of emotions all at the same time. Excitement, hope, fear, frustration, and of course, exasperation and exhaustion are a few that I am dealing with today.

The political process can be very overwhelming. Our children are taught how a bill becomes a law in a simplified manner. We love School House Rock - I'm just a bill. The problem is that there is so much more to how a bill becomes a law. First read, second read, third read, perfection, hearings, voice votes, roll call votes... my head is spinning!

I remember thinking in 7th grade civics, "when will I ever use this stuff?" I now know. I use this stuff every day of the year, whether I am actively working on a bill or not. The days of thinking that I know it all are long gone, and to be honest, those days didn't last long at all. I learn more each and every year I stay involved in the legislative process.

The thought of giving up and giving in crosses my mind more often than I would like to admit, but then who's going to suffer from me sitting by and letting what I think is wrong stay the status quo? If I am wrong about licensing and regulating Certified Professional Midwifes in the state of MO, would someone please take the time to go over the evidence supporting the premise that babies should be born in hospitals with doctors in attendance? If I am wrong, will someone take the time to set me right with current research so I can truly act in the best interest of mothers and babies in MO? If I am wrong, show me why so I can step back, take a deep breath and relax for just a moment and revel in the moment that this is a battle I don't have to fight.

The problem is that current research and evidence clearly show that midwifery is as safe, if not safer than physician attended hospital births for low risk pregnancies and births. Even the federal government knows this. Healthy People 2010 (pg 6) says that the United States should increase the use of midwives.

Since I don't know everything, I look to the evidence to make up my mind. I forward information on the the legislators and anticipate their answers. I go through several emotions and settle on the one to fit each response. I hope those undecided will be won over by the facts. I get frustrated and exasperated with those who dig in their heels and decide they know best while spouting misinformation in their arguments. I get excited when a legislator shows their intelligence by contemplating the issue and the supporting documentation on both sides and making a choice base on the evidence.

I just realized the time, and the baby is yet again waking up. This post has gone off in all directions, and for that I am sorry. I hope those of you reading can see a glimmer of a point in the ramblings of a very tired mother of two sick babies and three grade school children who are off to school early in the morning.

Goodnight!
-deanna

No comments: