Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Enemies

What a title to start the morning! I came to a realization this morning at my weekly women's Bible study. We are currently reading If Experience is Such a Good Teacher, Why Do I Keep Repeating the Course? by J. Ellsworth Kalas.

Today's lesson was all about enemies. It is so easy for us to get caught up in the emotion and turmoil of a good cause and look at the opposition as our enemy. I am not talking about their position being the enemy, but the individual or group that is standing in our way. I myself get trapped in this frequently. There has been more than one occasion where I get irritated with an individual and focus on the person instead of the situation at hand.

In the case of SB 303, are the legislators who oppose this bill my enemies? While some may think so (if we use a mild definition of the word enemy), I think differently. My enemy is misinformation, fear, and lack of knowledge about the issue. My enemy is also whatever reason certain individuals refuse to have a reasoned conversation about midwifery.

If I were to stay so narrow minded that I considered those who opposed this bill as my enemy, I wouldn't get very far in life. This morning I decided to focus on the enemies that I have a chance at defeating (or at least wounding). The enemies I choose to take on in the case of midwifery legislation are fear, ignorance, mistrust, as well as others. I choose to work hard in an ethical manner so I am proud of my efforts no matter what the outcome. I chose to be diligent and stay strong so those who hold opinions on the other side know that I will be back. I will continue to initiate these conversations and to present information that backs up my position.

I am only one person, but I can change the world!

-deanna

No comments: