Friday, April 27, 2007

Now he's invading my dreams!

Lately I have had a recurring dream. It's not necessarily a great dream, but it is no where near what you might call a nightmare. I have been dreaming about myself and Senator Chuck Graham. Intrigued? Read on...

The dream starts with me being anxious and nervous. I'm at the capital building and my kids are no where to be seen. For some strange reason, even the baby is missing from this dream. I decide to stop by Sen. Graham's office just on the off chance that something I say or do might influence his behavior and he will just let SB303 come to a vote. I'm not hopeful, but I enjoy talking with Beverly, and I get a chuckle out of Ted sticking his head around the corner to see who is in the outer office.

I start talking to Beverly, who notices right away that my arms are empty and there are no children hanging on my skirt. We chit chat a little, and right on cue, Ted sticks his head around the corner and pops back into the inner office. I smile to myself and am about to leave when the unthinkable happens. Ted invites me into the inner office to have a sit down with Senator Graham himself!

I'm about ready to pee my pants! I think, "Does he know who I am? Does he want to talk about midwifery or something else?" I steel my nerves and walk in. We sit down and he comments that many midwifery supporters have stopped by this session, and he thought it was only fair to hear one of them out. WHAT!?

I start out by asking him if he has read the bill in it's entirety. He replies, "No, but if it is anything like last years, I will continue to oppose it." (Side note: I really don't know if he has read the bill or not.)

"Why haven't you read the bill, Senator?" I ask.

"What's the point? Babies need to be born with a trained medical professional present, and a midwife trained by some internet course just isn't good enough," he says as he smiles stubbornly.

I shock him by saying, "Your right about one thing, a midwife trained by some internet course just isn't good enough." Senator Graham sits up a little straighter, almost like he thinks he has won. I continue, "Please read the bill and show me where the training required is just some internet course," I say as I hand him a copy of the bill. Hold onto your seats, ladies and gentlemen. HE READS THE BILL RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF ME!

I can tell he is getting irritated that he can't find anything to back up his internet course argument. I am getting a little excited and I am the one to sit up a little taller this time. "Senator Graham," I say ever so sweetly, "It seems to me as if the actual bill may be something other than what you thought it was. I have heard you debate the midwifery legislation on the floor, and if even one third of your points were true, I would work twice as hard against this bill instead of supporting it. I would be more than happy to run down your list of concerns and address them with facts and evidence. I'll even keep the touchy, feelly, emotional stuff to a minimum."

"You know, Mrs. Jurkowski, I'd like that," he replies. We sit there and discuss things like education, training, insurance, safety, and even cleanliness of a home vs hospitals. All in all, it was a very good discussion.

To keep this post from getting that much longer, I'll cut to the end. As I get up to leave, still feeling that he is totally against this bill, he asks to to stay just one more minute. "Mrs. Jurkowski, you have made your case well, but not well enough. I still think that babies should be born with physician in attendance."

I am feeling very dejected at this point, but at least I tried. "Well, thank you for your time, Senator Graham," I say as I start to walk out the door.

"Wait a minute, I'm not finished," he says. I turn around and he has this weird smile on his face. "You have made you case well, and while I cannot see myself supporting this bill, I do think that it is time I stopped holding it hostage and filibustering at every chance. If all it takes is for me to keep quiet for it to get to a vote in the Senate, than that's what I'll do."

My knees are weak and it is a really good thing there was a chair right behind me! "Are you serious, Senator? I mean, you aren't just saying this so you can get out there and talk about the germs toddlers carry and anyone taking an internet course again, are you?"

He smiles nicely and says, "You deserve a chance. I am still voting against this bill, but your persistence and knowledge of the issue, as well as the evidence you present has impressed me enough to make me discontinue my intense opposition to stop this bill at all opportunities."

I finally compose myself, thank him again, and walk out the door saying a quick goodbye to Beverly. I continue to walk down the hall, turn a corner and then allow myself to jump up and down for joy. Two seconds later, I am on my cell phone calling those who need to know that Senator Graham has said he will not oppose the bill coming to a vote because as you all know, good news travels fast!

The dream doesn't continue to the outcome of a vote in the Senate, but I wake up with a smile anyway!

Wouldn't it be nice if this dream would come true?

-deanna

2 comments:

Laurel said...

That's a great dream, Deanna! Let's not stop hoping that miracle will happen. :-)

JessiTRON said...

I dreamed about the bill passing the Senate last night, too. In my dream it was because someone stood up in front of Senator Graham, and this prevented him from filibustering. (It was my husband. There was a whole milling crowd on the senate floor.) The bill passed and there were parties in the streets and throughout the Capitol. It was crazy, but a great dream.