Thursday, November 15, 2007

Warrensburg, MO and VBAC

I am overwhelming frustrated with the state of birth in Missouri, specifically Warrensburg. I found out today that it is certain that Western Missouri Medical Center will no longer "allow" women to have a vaginal birth after a Cesarean. If I were to become pregnant again, this would mean that even though babies 3,4,5, and 6 were unmedicated, vaginal births, just because babies 1 and 2 were surgical deliveries, I would be forced to have a major operation to welcome another child whether or not that particular pregnancy had any complications or not.

I have several questions about this policy, a few of which I have shared below.
1. What if I refuse to consent to surgery? Will you get a court order and tie me down before you slice me open?
2. Are you really going to practice the idea of informed consent? Are you going to tell me all the risks associated with a c-section vs the lesser risks of a VBAC?
3. Are you willing to back up this policy with current, reliable, non-biased research? The last discussion I had with certain physicians at Western Missouri Medical Center showed me that this current department did not follow current research when it came to breastfed babies and surgery.
4. Who is making this decision, and why am I having such a hard time getting a copy of a written policy.

There are soooooo many thoughts running through my head on this topic. First I need to arm myself with written policies, evidence, and the like. Next, I'm on a quest to right a wrong.

1 comment:

Psalms66 said...

WooHoo Deanna!!!! Exactly. I was saddened and appalled when I heard that VBAC's are no longer allowed at WMMC. I plan to have more children. What are my options? It seems as though my options for care as a Missouri resident are being dwindled down to almost nothing.

Informed consent? Don't see much of that lately here.