Monday, November 19, 2007

It's not surprising, but it is frustrating

I have been trying to find out who is responsible for the no VBAC policy in Warrensburg. In particular, I have been trying to get something in writing. Imagine my complete lack of surprise that I can't find someone willing to take a stand FOR this policy. I am getting quite a bit of run around. I have been told that women who have had previous c-sections are not "allowed" to refuse a repeat c-section because it is a life or death decision and the hospital does not need consent in those situations. I have been told that if a woman were to choose to try and make it to the city and end up having a baby on the way, she would have made a choice to put her and the baby at risk when she could have just had the c-section in town. Let's see, cut her open just because, or let nature take its course and only intervene in a true life or death emergency. I don't know about you, but I would choose the latter.

The best so far is that I heard from one doctor's office that this is a LIABILITY decision and not a patient safety decision! This sounds very close to the whole midwifery argument. Too much can go wrong too quickly, so only doctors should be at the birth, in a hospital, with an operating room and a scalpel at arms reach. GIVE ME A BREAK.

If this is true, and both VBACs and midwifes are too dangerous because anything can happen at a moment's notice, then why don't we legislate that all women have to have c-sections? After all, the doctors in general are saying that birth can cause problems quickly. If they can't care for women in low risk situations after VBACs, and if they can't support and offer care to a women should she be transfered from a homebirth with a competent midwife, how can they be trusted to deliver any babies, especially those of a first time mother?

As I keep digging on this issue, I'll keep posting about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree I had a c-section at the Warrensburg hospital in June of 06. I want a vbac this time around but I had to sign-up with doctor in Lee's Summit who would even consent to a "trial" labor. And other than possibly my weight (200 pre-baby) I'm in perfect health, I have low blood pressure, low blood sugar and no risk factors... In fact my sister had a vbac 13 years ago here. It's frustrating.

Deanna said...

There's always the option of a homebirth now that CPMs are leagal in MO! You also may want to consider a doula during labor to help keep you relaxed and confident. Typically, hospitals and doctors who talk about a "trial" of labor are standing back wanting you to fail.